Friday, March 02, 2007

1 March Report

We had 11 players (attendance) and in my opinion there were more spikes and hard hit balls than usual. I credit not only the people spiking (mainly Josh, Gregg, Rob, and Brian) but also the solid passing and setting that started it all off.

On one play I ended up in the middle of the court as someone (Rob or Gregg, I think) crushed one and I barely managed to get both hands in position to protect my vitals (I may not have additional family plans, but all my remaining body parts are precious to me!). Steve was playing in the setter position and the ball richocheted off my hands, carromed off Steve's stationary foot and popped into the air where Josh, playing in the deep server's position was able to make a play on it.

In years past we have been hesitant to include foot play because we didn't want to encourage kicking. Our early experience with any kicking of the ball - even returning the ball to the server - wasn't positive. So in the spirit of "Safety First" we have generally not allowed kicked balls and prevented a lot of unnecessary dental work. In recent years as the overall skill level has improved this has evolved into allowing plays off stationary feet - which I feel is safe. I realize our rules of play may not map directly with USA Volleyball Rules but as I said in passing yesterday - "let's not confuse what we do with real volleyball".

Having said that I am open to discussion and suggestions to improve our play. Recently I believe we have had discussions clarifying:
  • Net violations to include any intrusions under the net, whether it disrupts play or not
  • Attacking the serve to be defined as any forward attack on an opponent's serve especially if someone jumps or leaves their feet.
Any others?

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home